We all love yogurt, but it is crazy expensive, so we decided to start making it. Instead of buying 4 big tubs of yogurt every week, we now buy one 2L jug of organic milk and one tub of yogurt to use as fresh starter every 3-4 weeks. That translates into a savings of $50+/month. We invested in a yogurt maker (this one, because it has a really tall lid and we can make 2L of yogurt at a time!), but I know lots of people just wrap the jar up in warm towels and put it in a warm spot somewhere.
- 2L of organic milk
- 1 cup of organic yogurt
- Pour milk into a big saucepan and heat to 80C. (A digital thermometer with an alarm comes in handy here.)
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to 45C.
- Pour some of the milk into the jar with the yogurt and mix well.
- Add the rest of the milk to the jar.
- Put in yogurt maker (or wrapped up and in a warm spot) for approximately 12 hours.
- Refrigerate and enjoy!