We have a waffle maker, but we don’t make waffles all that often. The problem is that we’ve never had a great go-to waffle recipe. Our last few attempts have been mediocre at best, with the waffles either sticking to the waffle iron or tasting fairly bland.
We decided to give it another go this morning, and I think we’ve found our new basic waffle recipe. We started with this recipe, and made some changes. The waffles were delicious—especially topped with crushed pecans, blueberries, bananas and maple syrup.
- 2 cups whole spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Suggested toppings: crushed pecans, blueberries, banana, maple syrup
- Mix dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs with a fork, and then mix in other liquid ingredients.
- Combine dry and liquid ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Cook on your waffle iron until lightly browned. It took about 5 mins per set on ours.