Sweet potato, banana, oatmeal breakfast bake
We woke up on this morning and no one in the house was super keen for anything in particular. We had some cooked oatmeal in the fridge, as well as some sweet potato that had already been peeled, so I started hunting around for ideas. I came across this recipe at Oh She Glows, and we didn’t end up changing too much.
It doesn’t look like much, but that says more about the photo than anything else—it was delicious.
- 1 cup regular oats
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 medium (or 2 small) sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small-ish cubes
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp saltPecan topping:
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsps coconut oil, warmed until liquid
- 2 tbsps whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add the oats and water to a saucepan and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Steam the sweet potato until tender.
- Mash the sweet potato and banana together, leaving it quite chunky.
- Combine it with the oatmeal.
- Stir in the cinnamon, maple syrup, nutmeg, and salt.
- Spread into an 8″ square baking dish, or equivalent.
- Mix the pecan topping ingredients together, and spread over the top of the oatmeal mix in the baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, broil on low for a couple minutes to crisp up the topping.